The watermelon diet as a detox program for weight loss is an excellent alternative to the classic diet for a complete cleansing of the body. Ideal for those who love watermelons during the ripening season of this berry. Its cleansing properties and excellent formulation help you get the most out of this product.
The benefits and harms of losing weight on watermelons
The benefits of the watermelon diet for weight loss:
- High-quality cleansing thanks to a powerful diuretic effect, which helps remove excess fluids from the body, toxins and toxic substances.
- The body receives a huge amount of beneficial nutrients, especially folic acid.
- Watermelons are delicious for their high fructose content, which makes them more attractive than other plant foods. Therefore, losing weight will be able to remain in a good mood and not feel discomfort from the restriction in the products.
- This berry will help eliminate swelling.
- Due to the sweet taste and mass of the pulp, watermelons quickly become saturated, and the diet is relatively easy to tolerate.
The damage resulting from the watermelon diet can be done to the body in several cases:
- Losing weight is observed for more than 3 days - so there is a high probability of vitamin deficiency and metabolic failures associated with an insufficient amount of essential substances used by a person.
- Losing weight has contraindications to this and other cleansing diets.
- For weight loss, fruits are chosen out of season - so there is a high risk of nitrates in them, which will lead to food poisoning.
- Since the main principle of action is a laxative effect, cleansing the intestines and removing excess fluids, all the lost kilograms are likely to return as soon as the diet is over and the diet expands. If, at the same time, breaking down harmful high-calorie foods, it will turn out not only to return the lost kilograms, but also to acquire new ones.
It is contraindicated to follow a watermelon diet if:
- There are kidney diseases, in particular stones with a diameter of more than 4 mm - there is a high probability of complications.
- There are diseases in an acute form: immunity in such conditions is weakened, and the body needs a lot of nutrients, not just those contained in the berry. If we talk about diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, the laxative effect of watermelon can worsen the condition of the mucous membrane of the stomach and intestines, which will have a bad effect on the microflora.
- The woman is pregnant or breastfeeding. During pregnancy, the diuretic effect can cause discomfort to the expectant mother, because the pressure on the bladder will increase. And frequent urination can disrupt the microflora of the reproductive system. In addition, both during pregnancy and during lactation, experts do not recommend diets with a restriction of useful products, so any mono diet will not be useful.
Composition and calorie content
Despite its pronounced sweet taste, watermelon is a vegetable food with a negative calorie content: every 100 g of berries contains only 38-40 calories.
- Ascorbic acid, essential for the immune system;
- Vitamins A, E, which keep the skin young and have a beneficial effect on sight;
- Vitamins of group B (B1, B2, B6, B9) - are considered the most necessary for losing weight, since their deficiency leads to disruptions of all metabolic processes;
- Water - up to 85% - is the water that provides a pronounced cleansing effect;
- Fiber - like water, it removes toxins and harmful substances from the body, it is also saturated and contains no calories;
- Potassium - important for the full functioning of the heart muscle, the composition of the blood and the work of the urinary system;
- Magnesium - has a beneficial effect on the nervous system;
- Phosphorus - important for building and strengthening bone tissue and full brain function;
- Lycopene is an antioxidant that slows down aging and accelerates cell regeneration.
There are many types of watermelon diets in terms of duration, but a weight loss duration of up to 3 days is allowed for a single diet. If the weight loss period is longer, then the diet needs to be expanded with other useful products.
During the fasting day on watermelons, it is recommended to eat only the pulp of the watermelon during the day. The amount of berries is not limited, it is allowed to eat until full saturation. You can make watermelon juices and smoothies, use 1-3 pieces of rye bread.
The amount of ordinary drinking water is not limited.
For 2 days
A two-day weight loss on watermelons will allow you to get rid of 2-4 kg, significantly reduce the size of the waist and abdomen.The menu consists of the following products:
- 2-3 rye croutons;
- Unlimited - watermelon pulp;
- Unlimited - water, green tea;
- 2 glasses of kefir per day;
- Up to 200 g of ricotta per day.
For 3 days
A three-day mono diet is no different in terms of a two-day set of products.
For 5 days
Mono low calorie diets that last more than 3 days require dietary expansion to minimize the risks of potential harm from following them.
Allowed for use:
- Watermelons and other berries in unlimited quantities;
- Green apples, citrus fruits, kiwis;
- Green vegetables: cucumbers, zucchini, cabbage, greens;
- Up to 50 g of rye or wholemeal bread per day, preferably in the form of croutons;
- Up to 200 g of 0% ricotta per day.
Sample menu for every day:
- Breakfast:watermelon and berry smoothie.
- Snack- apple, watermelon and orange salad.
- Dinner- baked zucchini, fresh vegetable salad.
- Snack- a glass of kefir, watermelon pulp.
- Dinner- herb cottage cheese, a glass of kefir.
For a week
A weekly weight loss on watermelons also provides for the presence of many other products in the diet, in addition to this berry.These include:
- Oatmeal, brown rice - you need to eat for breakfast;
- Watermelons and other berries - in cereals, smoothies, fresh juices, fruit salads;
- Vegetables with negative calories, mostly raw;
- Eggs, dairy products and fermented milk products with 0% fat.
- Seeds, nuts, vegetable oils.
The menu for every day looks like this:
- Breakfast: Oatmeal in water, watermelon, orange and chia seed smoothies.
- Snack - kiwi and watermelon pulp salad with low-fat yogurt.
- Brown rice, boiled beetroot salad, herbs and nuts, dressed with olive oil.
- Kefir, watermelon pulp.
- Omelette with pepper, watermelon pulp.
If you believe the reviews, there are cases when people managed to lose less than 10 kg per week, adhering to such a diet with small portions.
For 10 days
In ten days with the daily consumption of watermelon, you can lose up to 6 kg. For such a long period of the diet, only a menu that resembles a correct balanced diet with low calorie content is suitable. An example of a 10-day watermelon diet:
|one||Rice flour pancakes, fresh watermelon||Watermelon and kiwi salad||Vegetable soup, boiled or baked chicken breast||Ricotta, watermelon pulp||Stewed cabbage with beef|
|2||Oatmeal with raisins||Watermelon and grapefruit smoothie||Chicken, cucumber, cheese salad, for dessert - watermelon pulp||Watermelon pulp||Fish soup with carrots and herbs|
|3||No-bake cheesecake from low-fat cottage cheese with a layer of watermelon juice||Any fruit salad||Stewed cabbage with chicken fillet, watermelon pulp||Kefir with chia seeds||Watermelon, pomegranate, basil salad dressed with lemon juice|
|four||Ricotta with berries and watermelon||Kiwi||Vegetable stew with mushrooms||Kefir with watermelon||Steamed broccoli, fresh watermelon|
|five||Herbs omelette||Watermelon juice jelly||Baked chicken, cucumber and vegetable salad, watermelon pulp||Cottage cheese with watermelon||Baked eggplant, pomegranate and watermelon salad|
|6||Cheesecake without flour and sugar, fresh watermelon||Smoothie made from watermelon and other berries||Lentils, watermelon pulp||Kefir and fresh watermelon cocktail||Boiled fish, lettuce|
|7||Oatmeal in water with walnuts||Apple and watermelon puree||Bean stew||Cottage cheese with watermelon||Boiled seafood cocktail|
|8||Scrambled eggs with cheese and herbs, fresh watermelon||Yogurt with watermelon||Vinaigrette with peas||Watermelon pulp||Broccoli and minced chicken casserole|
|nine||Brown rice, watermelon smoothie||Milkshake||Beetroot and plum salad, dressed with olive oil, watermelon pulp||Fresh watermelon||Omelette with cheese and shrimp|
|ten||Lentils with vegetable salad||Watermelon pulp||Chicken, cucumber, cheese salad, for dessert - watermelon pulp||Watermelon jelly||Baked red fish, any vegetables|
For 14 days
For a two-week watermelon diet, the 10-day menu is ideal. With such a duration, it is advisable to consume complex vitamins to maintain health.
In addition to diets that resemble proper balanced nutrition, there are other types of menus for losing weight on watermelons. All of them are no less effective and have their own characteristics.
The appeal of this type of watermelon diet is that the second main product, melons, ripens at about the same time as watermelons. Therefore, such weight loss will be not only very tasty, but also inexpensive. Given the characteristics of the melon and its poor compatibility with other foods, it is recommended to consume these 2 products separately, with an interval of 2-3 hours.
The menu might look like this:
- Breakfast- melon puree.
- Snack- fresh watermelon.
- Dinner- melon, cut into cubes and poured with a teaspoon of honey.
- Snack- watermelon pulp.
- Dinner- melon in any form.
Losing weight and cleansing with watermelon pulp and kefir is best during a fasting day and a two-day diet. Watermelon purifies the intestines and the bifidobacteria of a fermented milk product contribute to the formation of a healthy intestinal and gastric microflora.
You should choose low-fat kefir and drink up to 1. 5 liters per day.
Watermelon and cucumber
Like watermelons, cucumbers are made up of 80-90% water, so they also help cleanse the intestines and the body as a whole. This basic product combination is very successful.During the day, in addition to cucumbers and watermelons, it is allowed to use:
- White cabbage;
- Celery root;
- Low-fat cottage cheese and kefir.
With black bread
Many people love the combination of watermelon + bread / cookies / other baked goods. A few slices of black or wholemeal bread will help you fill up faster and the diet will be much better tolerated.
A watermelon-based diet for weight loss due to the burning of adipose tissue will be more effective if, in addition to this berry, you consume protein foods:
- Lean meat and fish prepared with delicate methods;
- Dairy product;
- Legumes and soy.
Watermelon will saturate the body with fiber, and its high water content will help it assimilate proteins better. With such a diet, watermelon should be consumed in the morning, and protein - whenever you want.
The diet of watermelon will be satisfactory, during which it is allowed to eat buckwheat porridge, cooked in a special way. In the evening, pour 200 g of cereals into 400 ml of pure water and leave them at room temperature. In the morning and during the day, porridge is consumed without spices and additives. In addition, it is allowed to eat up to 1 kg of watermelon pulp.
The maximum duration of weight loss with such a diet is 7-10 days, and during this period you can lose from 5 to 8 kg.
Watermelons go well with other plant foods. Apples are considered to be one of the fruits that are recommended to supplement the watermelon mono-diet. The season for them coincides with the watermelon season, so losing weight will have no problem with the availability of this diet.
During each day it is allowed to eat:
- Up to 1. 5 kg of watermelon pulp;
- Up to 1. 5 kg of apples;
- Unlimited - water;
- Up to 1 liter of 0% kefir.
On watermelon and rice
Rice is considered to be one of the best foods to cleanse the body, and mono-rice diets are often practiced by many people. For weight loss, the watermelon diet can be supplemented with brown or unpolished white rice - these are the varieties that contain the most useful ingredients and fiber that help purify.
It is allowed to eat up to 0. 5 kg of brown rice per day without adding spices and additives.
On watermelon and ricotta
The curd and watermelon diet belongs to the protein diet. During its observance (allowed up to 7 days), adipose tissue is burned, muscle tissue is partially preserved and digestion is normalized - this is how cottage cheese affects the body.
Watermelon revives the taste of the diet and promotes cleansing. For each day, you can lose up to 1 kg.
Renal diet of watermelon
Kidney Diet: This can be a 1-3 day mono diet on watermelons, water and kefir, or the combination of eating watermelons with a warm bath.
In the second case, it is necessary to take a hot bath 1 time in 3 weeks and 10 minutes earlier and on time: there is as much watermelon pulp as possible. The whole procedure takes about 1 hour, during which the sand and small stones come out of the kidneys along with the urine and the warm water temperature has a beneficial effect on this process.
It is necessary and possible for pregnant women to consume watermelons, because they contain a large amount of folic acid, which is necessary for the full development of the fetus. But in any case it is impossible to adhere to a mono diet, because it is fraught with a deficiency of other important vitamins and minerals.
Diuretic products during pregnancy can significantly worsen the well-being of the expectant mother. Excessive pressure is already exerted on the bladder as the fetus grows, as a result of which the woman often feels the need to go to the toilet. The abundance of watermelons in the menu will increase the diuretic effect, it can be uncomfortable for a pregnant woman and be accompanied by painful sensations in the pelvic area.
In the fight against psoriasis, a traditional medicine such as the watermelon diet is sometimes used. If you believe the supporters of such treatment, then using only watermelons in unlimited quantities for 10-30 days, you can defeat the disease. If you are very hungry, you can eat a small amount of black bread.
From the point of view of traditional medicine the method is questionable, both for overcoming psoriasis and for its benefits for health in general it is difficult to believe.
How to choose the right berry
Top tips for choosing a watermelon:
- Choose by season. If possible, close to the field where they grow or to the farmer who keeps the enough. In extreme cases - at the market and only in the last place - at the supermarket.
- The peel should be firm, shiny, and the stripes of the berry should contrast with each other.
- It is better to choose an average size: a giant watermelon, most likely, grew this way due to the addition of nitrates to the soil, and too small - not yet ripe. The ideal weight for any type of berries (except small ones) is 4-6 kg.
- A spot on one side of a watermelon should be yellow or orange and no more than 6cm in diameter for large fruits and 5cm for smaller ones.
- When tapping on the crust, a ringing sound should occur.
Exit from the diet
The watermelon diet requires the right way out, which is gradual. In the first 2-3 days, the diet should be expanded with vegetables and other fruits, in the next 2-3 days - with cereals, then protein products should be introduced. To preserve the result for a long time, products based on white flour, candy and other sweets, fried and products with chemicals in the composition should be abandoned forever.
Reviews of doctors and specialists
- "Watermelon juices and smoothies based on them are very useful for inclusion in the diet of those who are losing weight. But for a long time (more than 1 day), eating exclusively on the pulp of this berry is harmful and dangerous forthe health of any person. Mono-diets are not welcome, because they almost never give lasting results, but during the watermelon season I consider it advisable to unload on watermelons every 10-14 days, maintaining a balanced diet ".
- "Before eating large quantities of watermelons and other diuretic products, I recommend that you make sure that your kidneys and gastrointestinal tract are in order. The laxative effect can aggravate the course of urolithiasis and negatively affect the microflora of the digestive organs. part of the diet in the context of a balanced diet, quality watermelon will always be useful. But a watermelon diet of any length is not safe in the presence of many diseases. "
Reviews and results of those who have lost weight
- "I love watermelons. For me, losing weight is always something very difficult and depressing. But losing weight on this berry is a real pleasure. I prefer fresh juice, smoothies with other berries, sherbet and a punch made fromwatermelon and other fruit. I can easily live like this for 10-14 days. This year I lost 6 kg in 2 weeks. "
- "I read about cleaning all body systems with watermelon from a fitness blogger. He advised living on fresh fruit juices for a week and not eating solid foods at all. Fresh watermelon was on the drink list. allowed. I went through 7 days of such detoxification and I seem to be reborn: I felt lightness in my whole body, a surge of energy and the waist seemed to become 2 times thinner. The result was -4 kg on the scale ".